Camulos Academy

Bringing Learning to Life

Child Exploitation

Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE)

Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) is a type of sexual abuse, when a child is made or tricked into doing something sexual sometimes receiving something in return like love, affection, money, drugs or alcohol.


Sexual abuse can include lots of things like rape and sexual assault, sexual harassment, online grooming and domestic abuse or violence



Criminal Exploitation

Criminal Exploitation includes gang crime and county lines. A gang may claim control over territory in a community, and engaging either individually or collectively in violent behaviour or other types of criminal activity. 


County lines is when gangs and organised crime networks groom and exploit children to sell drugs. They may make them travel across counties, and they use dedicated mobile phone ‘lines’ to supply drugs.



Trafficking/modern slavery


Trafficking is where children and young people are tricked, forced or persuaded to leave their homes and are moved or transported and then exploited, forced to work or sold.


It can happen to anyone – not just foreign children as is often thought. A child could only be taken next door or down the road – it’s still classed as trafficking.


How can I support my child?

You can discuss the differences between healthy and unhealthy relationships with your children, this is really important in helping highlight potential risks to them.

There are also practical steps you can take, such as:

  • Don’t wait to be 100% sure, collect evidence, if you suspect that your child is at risk – act now and call Child Line or Essex Police
  • Stay alert to changes in behaviour or any physical signs of abuse, e.g. bruising
  • Be aware of new, unexplained gifts or possessions, e.g. mobile phones, and carefully monitor any instances of staying out late or not returning home
  • Exercise caution around older friends your child may have, or relationships with other young people where there appears to be a power imbalance
  • Make sure you understand the risks associated with your child being online and put measures in place to minimise them.


This parent leaflet is a useful guide to help you talk to your child about CSE. 


What to do if your child goes missing

If your child does not return home when you expect them to and you are worried, in the first instance you should try and find out where they are. Contact relatives or friends to see if they have seen them or know where they are. You should also search your property and local area to see if you can locate them. You should also:

  • Try to contact them directly via mobile phone, text or social networking sites (such as WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat)
  • Check their bedroom and any other place where your child might be within the house or building
  • Check the garden, garage, sheds, grounds and surrounding area
  • Check with their friends, school, neighbours, relatives, work or anyone else who may have any suggestions about where they might be. Ask them to tell you immediately if they hear from the missing person


However, if your child is missing or has run away from home, you must contact the police. Dial 999 in an emergency situation or call your local police force immediately on 101.


If you cannot locate your child following a telephone and physical search then you should report them missing to the police by dialling 101. You do not have to wait 24 hours before reporting them missing.